I have been in the math
department at the University of Western Ontario since 2002. I
received my PhD at the University
of Michigan in 1999.
My mathematical interests fit roughly under a heading of algebraic
combinatorics. More precisely, this includes arrangements of
hyperplanes and subspaces, combinatorial aspects of rational homotopy
theory, and "toric topology."
I have some preprints and publications available here.
- Math 9162L, Topics in Algebraic Geometry (a reading course).
Conference and workshop organization:
- CAAC 2016, Western, 22-24 January 2016, coorganized with Nicole Lemire
(Western) and Hugh Thomas (UQAM), a three-day meeting in algebraic
combinatorics and its interactions with algebraic geometry and
- Combinatorial Constructions in Topology, University of Regina, August 17-21, 2015, coorganized
with Soumen Sarkar, Don Stanley (U. Regina) and Alex Suciu (Northeastern University). See the abstracts page for slides from some of the talks.
and Combinatorial Aspects of Singularities, TU Kaiserslautern,
coorganized with Mathias
Walther, August 3-7, 2015. See the abstracts page for the slides from some of the talks.
- Computational Geometric Topology in Arrangement Theory, ICERM (Providence, RI), July 6-10, 2015, with Nero Budur, Dani Matei, Laurentiu Maxim, Hal Schenck, and Max Wakefield.
- A focussed research group
Hyperplane Arrangements, Wonderful Compactifications, and
at BIRS, with June
and Alex Suciu,
Fundamental Groups of Hyperplane Arrangements, Wonderful
Compactifications, and Real Toric Varieties at the Mathematisches
Forschungsinstitut Oberwolfach, with Alex Suciu, October
- An AMS special session "The Algebraic Geometry
Hyperplane Arrangements" at the AMS
spring sectional meeting in Worcester, MA, April 9-10, 2011,
a workshop at Northeastern University on April 8, with Alex Suciu.
- A Conference
in Honour of Peter Orlik at the Fields Institute in Toronto,
with Dan Cohen
and Nicole Lemire,
I am a fan of Macaulay
2 (software for commutative algebra and algebraic geometry). Greg Smith
and I have written a package for computation with hyperplane
arrangements. It is included with the standard Macaulay 2
distribution (versions ≥ 1.0).
was on sabbatical from July 2009 -- June 2010: I visited
the EPFL (Lausanne) from September
through November, and the University
Oregon from January through summer 2010.